Main Menu

INFLUENCE OF ORAL ALCOHOL ON LIVER FUNCTION IN MICE

paper-details
 
Author Name: M. A. Latif, M. K. Islam, M.A. Wares and M.N. Fatema and S. Afrin
Research Area: Veterinary Science
Volume: 02
Issue: 01
Page No: 26-30
Emailed: 10
Total Downloads: 1345
Country: Bangladesh
PDF View: Details



The research was undertaken to investigate the effects of alcohol on liver function in mice. A total of 20 mice of Swiss Albino strain were randomized into: control; 10% alcohol treated group; 20% alcohol treated group; and 30% alcohol treated group. The experimental parameters of all treated groups were compared with that of control group. Providing 10% alcohol for 90 days showed no significant change in total erythrocyte count (TEC), hemoglobin, glucose and alanine transaminase (ALT). Providing 20% alcohol caused significant rise (p<0.05) in TEC, but no significant rise  in hemoglobin, glucose and ALT. Treating with 30% alcohol caused significant  rise (p<0.05) in TEC, hemoglobin (p<0.01), blood  glucose (p<0.05)  and  in ALT(p<0.05). In histopathological study, significant change including hepatic necrosis, slight fibrosis and steatosis were found in the liver of 30% alcohol treated groups in comparison with control group. It is concluded that higher doses of alcohol (30% or more) may lead to the development and progression of liver disease.