Main Menu

SUPPLY CHAIN SYSTEM OF MAIZE SEED IN MAJOR MAIZE GROWING AREAS OF BANGLADESH

paper-details
 
Author Name: Dipok Kumar, Md. Bodiuzzaman, Md. Ahsanul Hoque Chowdhury, Dhananjoy Kumar Mahato and Shantona Mahato
Research Area: Agricultural Science
Volume: 07
Issue: 03
Page No: 36–44
Emailed: 0
Total Downloads: 190
Country: Bangladesh
PDF View: Details



The study was undertaken to observed marketing channel of maize seed in major maize growing areas of Bangladesh. Both primary and secondary data were used to analyze supply chain system of maize seed. The primary data were collected from a sample size of 190 from seven maize growing zones. In addition, the total 16 FGDs conducted with maize growers and maize seed businessmen/traders (including seed distributors, seed dealers, retailers, middlemen) in six maize growing zones Primary data were collected from maize growers and seed traders through direct interview, Focus Group Discussion (FGD) and Key Information Interview (KII) methods. The total requirement of maize seed in Bangladesh was only 36.43 tons in 1980-81. But during 2007-2008 growing season, the demand of maize seed was 6876.00 tons about 188.73 times higher considering the demand of 1980-81.    During 2015-16 growing season, the demand of maize seed in Bangladesh was 7119.00 tons of which BADC only supplied 180.00 tons and the rest amount was met through import by different seed companies. In this study, 17 organizations/companies including Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC) were found to deal with maize seed in the country. Four percent of the traders were operating as partnership and 96% were individual ownership. They are also involved to import maize seed with other products as a small part of their total business. The seed traders at the field level categorized themselves into seed dealers and retailers. Out of 80 traders of both the areas 61% were dealer and the rest 39% were retailer. The selected traders were found to handle not only maize seed but a variety of crops seed such as paddy, wheat, jute and vegetables seed. Rice seed constituted the highest percentage of the business (45%) followed by wheat (25%), maize (25%) and vegetables seeds (5%). Some of the traders also dealt in fertilizers and insecticides.